IR retreat 2011
Back to program
Second email announcement (Nov 24, 2011)
Here are a few more details for our IR-group retreat, which is just a little over 2 weeks away.
1) There is now a tentative complete agenda on the IR-group web page:
Keep checking the web site, since we will post there any changes to the program as they come in.
2) There will be a nearly 2-hour session on Tuesday morning where participants are invited and encouraged to present their idea(s) for future topics/proposals in 1 or 2 slides per idea. Some research areas include, but are not limited to:
- galaxy evolution + BH growth
- shutdown of star formation around z~1
- BH/AGN physics
- star formation
- the Galactic Center
If you would like your idea(s) to be included in this session please send me a short email by Dec 2 with a title for your slide or slides. I will then need your complete slides by dinner time on the Monday of the retreat, since we will load these onto one laptop to save time. Of course, earlier submissions would be greatly appreciated!
2) Please let me know ASAP if your plans to attend the Ringberg retreat have changed since you sent back your accommodation form. Both Ringberg and the Haus Florian in Tegernsee need final numbers within the next days.
3) Thank you very much to those in private cars willing to take other participants along with you to Ringberg. We will post a sheet in the IR coffee corner where people needing rides can coordinate with specific drivers. We have the MPE mini-bus (9 seater) that will leave from Garching on the Sunday at a time determined by Ric (who will likely be the friendly bus-driver!).
4) There are 58 of us attending Ringberg in total and the lodging capacity at Ringberg is only 43, so some people will be lodged at the Gaestehaus Florian, the IPP-run Pension in
Tegernsee (www.ipp-sozialwerk.de). For those in Haus Florian, you are welcome to have lunch and dinner in the castle. To minimize overheads on the Ringberg staff and to allow as many participants as possible to enjoy the Sunday evening events without having to worry about driving down the hill, we are preferentially lodging those who are arriving on Sunday in Ringberg. I'll send out the room assignments within the next week.
5) We will have a buffet dinner at the opening reception on Sunday evening. At this occasion it would be nice if all of the newest members of the group would give a short introduction about themselves. We hope you are all willing! After dinner we will enjoy a superbly prepared Feuerzangenbowle (thanks to the excellent work of Eckhard, Dieter and Christina!) and a viewing of the famous movie with the same name.
We're looking forward to seeing you all at Ringberg!
Linda and the LOC
© Infrared and Submillimeter Astronomy
Group at MPE. © Max-Planck-Institut für extraterrestrische
Impressum, last update: 24-Nov-2011,
editor of this page: Thomas Ott